Then spake Jesus saying, "He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life." John 8:12

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

May 4: Axel

Last week the bishopric gave us a list of all the members and asked us to see if the information was current. Needless to say, we’ve been getting to know the area a lot better. So! We knocked on a blue door with a bunch of graffiti. A skinny 16-year-old sauntered out we introduced ourselves. He said that he was baptized 4 years ago but hasn’t really been to church. That his grandparents, who lived with them and were also on the list, passed away. So we asked who all lives there. Axel said that he lives with his 17-year-old brother because when his mom died several months ago, his dad left.
But when we told the bishop that we had met him, the bishop told us that his mom didn’t just die, she was killed. By his dad. We haven’t told him we know.
How can I begin to comprehend what he’s going through?
I can’t.

But the miracle I know is true is that Someone does. I can’t heal him, but healing is possible. Alma 7 tells us that Christ suffered your sin, your anger, your regret, your sickness, what you felt every time you have been betrayed or let down- EVERYTHING. And not only that, but it tells us why: that His soul may be filled with mercy, and that He may know how to comfort you.
I know these things are true. I’ve come to ask myself, like most people, I think, “If God loves us so much, why does He let things like this—and worse—happen?” The other day they shared a story with us in church that I want to share with you all.

A barber and his client chatted as the barber worked. As they began to talk more, the barber said, “I don’t believe in God.” His client asked him why. “If God existed, He simply would not let some of the atrocities that we see today happen. The children that are abused in every form, the torture. If there were Someone all-powerful, and loving, He would put limits on this kind of suffering.” The client thought, and after a moment, said, “Well, I don’t believe in barbers.” “What are you talking about? You’re sitting right here talking to one,” the barber said, as a big bearded guy passed by outside. The client said, “If there were barbers, there simply wouldn’t be guys like that walking around.”
The barber said, “I always see that guy pass by. I’ve even talked with him before. But he just won’t come in and let me fix him up.”

I testify that God is as real as you or I. The world is how it is because most people don’t want to come unto Him. And even though He is all-powerful, there is one thing He won’t override—our agency. He allowed His only perfect Son to suffer all the sin and perversion and pain of the rest of His children in order to give us the chance to come unto Him. If we accept His yoke (the sacred covenants such as baptism, etc.) with sincerity, we will be healed. All the evil in the world will be punished with time. But more importantly, all the scars that evil caused will be erased.


No comments:

Post a Comment